Open/Close Menu
Wedding Ceremonies in Brisbane and Beyond

Marrying Young

Marrying Young

How Young is too Young

Are you planning on marrying young?

You usually have to be at least 18 years old to get married in Australia. This applies to both males and females, although sometimes it may be possible for a person aged under 18 to marry.

My Partner is Young too

If one partner to the marriage is under 18, the other partner must be at least 18 years old. Marriage between two people both under 18 is illegal under Australian law. No one aged under 16 is allowed to marry under any circumstances in Australia.

What Must the Celebrant Do if I’m Marrying Young

As well as the usual checking of the marrying couple’s ages from their birth certificates or extracts of birth certificates, if one partner is aged under 18, the celebrant must ensure that appropriate permissions have been obtained before marrying the couple. Both the celebrant and the marrying couple will have broken the law if the wedding goes ahead without the these permissions and the marriage will be invalid under Australian law.

The celebrant should also advise the marrying couple to obtain legal advice before applying for the necessary permissions.

Permission, Consent and Lots of Forms

If you’re thinking about marrying young, the first requirement is an order obtained from a judge or magistrate authorising the person aged between 16 and 18 to marry someone of marriageable age. Such orders are not granted routinely. The judge must be convinced that there are exceptional and unusual circumstances that justify the issuing of the order. If you’re marrying young, you must make your application to the judge or magistrate on a form, “the notice of application for order authorising marriage under marriageable age”. It can be found on the Attorney-General’s Department website. If the application is approved, you must get married within three months of the date of the court order.

Secondly, it is necessary to obtain the consent in writing of any person whose consent to the marriage is required. Usually, this means the parents of the person under marriageable age, and the wedding must take place within three months of this permission being given. If the person under marriageable age has been previously married, this permission is not required; however, it is still essential to obtain the court order. If the consent is not given, it may be possible for the person under marriageable age to apply to a judge or magistrate for their consent instead.

Once both partners are aged 18, there is no need to obtain a court order. You don’t need parental permission to marry either. The Notice of Intention to Marry (NOIM) can be lodged by persons not of marriageable age up to 18 months before the wedding. The marriage can be solemnised once both partners have reached the age of 18.

Once you have all the permissions and consents, you will need a celebrant. CALL ME NOW

Celebrant Enquiry



For answers to more of your questions about getting married, have a look at these blogs: Official Certificate of Marriage, Do I Need a Celebrant for my Wedding, Do I Have to Say my Vows in English and Changing Your Name.